Monday, March 14, 2011

Sing You Home

I was sent an advanced reader's copy of Jodi Picoult's newest book "Sing You Home" by Simon and Schuster. I have finally finished it and surprisingly enough, I liked it.
I had sworn I would never read another Jodi Picoult book after "My Sister's Keeper". That one just wrung me out, emotionally. I really respect a writer who can make you feel something-whether you love it or hate it-when you read a book.
"Sing You Home" does not have quite the same emotional roller coaster that Sister's did. I don't know if it was the multiple voices the book had or the enormity of the topic covered in the book. The book deals with 3 families who, over a ten year span or so, deal with marriage, divorce, cancer, religious rights, alcoholism, homosexuality, fertility legalities, and a bit of teen troubles. Max and Zoe are married and due to fertility issues in both parties, resort to IVF (In vitro fertilization-or test tube babies) treatments. After the latest treatment results in a still birth, Max can no longer live in the marriage. He goes to live with his brother and his wife-who have their own problems- and Zoe crashes. Zoe eventually bounces back and deals with cancer and finds a friend in Vanessa, a school counselor at a high school where Zoe does music therapy. Zoe and Vanessa's friendship evolves into love and they become partners.
Zoe remembers there are 3 embryos frozen at the clinic she and Max used and has to get Max to sign off on them. Max has since become born-again into a church that leans toward the religious right. He thinks the embryos should go to Reid and Liddy- his brother and his wife (who Max has fallen in love with by this time). A legal battle ensues.
I won't tell you how it ends but I was satisfied with the ending. And will be recommending the book to readers. There are alot of plot lines running around in this book but Ms. Picoult manages to weave them into a timely and well-balanced story. And there is a music disc included with the book so you can hear Zoe's voice along with the story. I have to admit I did not listen to the disc-I like to form my own opinions but I am sure you can find additional reviews elsewhere.
Just one last plug- Buy this book from an independent bookseller like one of my two favorites- The Books Connection of Shelby or Aunt Agatha's in Ann Arbor Michigan. Both have great websites as well.

No comments: