Sunday, November 16, 2008

Suggestion Taken

I read the book suggested by my daughter, her fiance, and friend.
Fall on Your Knees by Ann Marie MacDonald
A family saga set on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia that spanned 3 generations. It was more tragic than happy -more a reflection of the hard life that existed for many during the early 20th century. Struggles included racism, war, prohibition, and just growing up. There was also family issues and human drama including abuse and incest. Many many secrets. But all in all, through all the hardships and despair, there was a thread of hope that could not be extinguished. It was the one redeeming point in the whole story.
I'm still not sure I liked it but I did respect the writing and admire the writer's ability to convey such images in so few words.
And I will recommend it where I can can because it does make one think.

No comments: